Sunday, November 25, 2012

Make Your Own Shaker Tags and Winner!

It is almost 4:30 pm and the sun is setting in Minnesota.  I miss you sun!  I guess this is the sign that winter is here.  Good thing we have the holidays to distract us! 

Today I used my new Sizzix Eclips and eCal software to make some fun shaker tags.  I have included a tutorial below in case you want to make some of these too!  Also, see the bottom of this post for the winner of my giveaway of the new Holly Jolly Christmas SVG collection by The Digi Bistro and the 12 Days of Christmas paper kit by My Mind's Eye!


To make the shaker part of the tags, you will need:
  • Lightweight chipboard
  • Window sheets or transparency paper
  • Cardstock
  • Glue (I prefer Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive)
  • Confetti/Punches/Glitter - Whatever you want to put inside the shaker.  I used Iridescent Glitter by Martha Stewart Crafts
Determine what shape you want to use for the shaker.  If you have SCAL or MTC, make a copy of the shape and make it a shadow of the original shape.  Then place the original shape within the shadow and group them together.  Once grouped, make 3 copies of the shape with the shadow and cut them out on the lightweight chipboard using your die-cutting machine like shown in the picture below.


Remove the shapes from the mat.  Then glue them together - one on top of the other until it looks like this.


Cut out this shape one more time with the cardstock you want to put on top of the assembled shaker.

Then, in your cutting software, remove the original shape (the inside shape) and cut out the remaining shape (the shadow) in cardstock for the back of the shaker and in the windowed sheet/transparency paper for the top of the shaker.  You should now have all of the shapes show below. 


Now glue the shadow shape to the back of the layered chipboard shape. 

Then, fill the shape generously with confetti/punches/glitter.  Once filled, glue the windowed shape to the top of the layered chipboard. 

The final step is to glue the cardstock shape to the very top (this covers the glue that shows through the windowed shape).  Your shaker is done!

And here are the final tags embellished with the assembled shakers:


The pine trees SVG is from the Peppermint Holiday Cut Its collection by Lettering Delights and the tag SVG is from the Little Ho-ho-ho-ligans Accents Cut Its collection by Lettering Delights.  Both of these SVG collections are only $2 until 11/29/12!  The paper, letter stickers, pink sprinkler (to color the doily die-cut), and pipe streamers are by October Afternoon.

Other materials used:
Doily die by Papertrey Ink
Star and circle nesting dies by Sizzix
Merry Christmas Script embossing folder by Sizzix
Scalloped border punch by Stampin Up
Glitter paper in white by DCWV
Felt

I am entering this project into the following challenges:
Paper Issues - Any Holiday Project
My Sheri Crafts - Tis The Season
Hiding in My Craft Room - Christmas

Now for the giveaway winner!  Congratulations #21 which is .........................................................

Amy E!  Congrats Amy E!  Please send your full name and address to
cheryl.evans @ thedigibistro dot com and mention you won The Paper Retreat giveaway.

That's it from me today - hope you stop by again soon!  Also, if you make a shaker using my tutorial, please remember to link your blog post to the tutorial on my blog.  Thanks so much!

Mel

16 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous!! I love the designs!! And awesome tutorial!! Congrats to Amy!! Have a great week :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these shaker tags they are just so cute, I'm definitely making these, thanks for the great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH My Stars! I LOVE these shaker tags and the tutorial is GREAT! What a cute idea! Hope you had a SUPER Thanksgiving! SMiles, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!
    I don´t have a machine, I made a shaker card a couple of months ago and it was quite a work...
    Great tutorial, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ardilla! You can use punches or Sizzix/Spellbinders nesting dies to make these too. Both should cut through lightweight chipboard! :)

      Delete
  5. Pretty shaker tags! Thanks for the tutorial-may try the shakers! Thanks for sharing with us at My Sheri Crafts!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute shakers thanks for sharing these :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute Mel! I am gonna have to try this:) TFS!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! You'll be featured at Paper Issues later today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! These have to be the cutest tags ever! Thanks for the tutorial and sharing at paper issues! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great tags! Thanks for the tutorial! Thanks for joining us at My Sheri Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super Excellent, Love these cards! Thanks for joining us at Hiding in my Craft Room
    Cheers Jennie DTM
    Jenscrapstoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! These are absolutely beautiful. Love the soft colors on the pink tag :)

    Lesley @ Trendy Twine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great project! They are beautiful! Thanks for joining us at My Sheri Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your shaker tags and hope to make a few for packages I will be wrapping...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete