I made this shadow box for a good friend of mine for his birthday. When he was little, he would spend time at his grandparents' cabin and he has very fond memories of being there. So, as a birthday gift, his wife asked me to design and create a shadow box for him. I was so honored that she asked me and I absolutely loved making this. I put so much love into making it, I think I exhausted myself! :)
I added 3D Foam Squares to pop-up the tree in the upper left corner of the shadow box. I stacked them 3 high so the tree looks like it is at the front of the box. The tree was a free SVG file from My Scrap Chick. SVG file included the branch and leaves as well.
Here is a close-up of the owl. Isn't he the cutest! He is from the LD Woodsy Doodlebat Font available for purchase at Lettering Delights. The graphics in this font are now available as a SVG set too! Check out the entire Woodsy SVG set!
I used SCAL to design the layout of the shadow box! I was so excited when I realized I could add the pictures to the layout in SCAL. Also, I changed the colors of the cuts to match the paper colors I would use. I like to visualize what my projects will look like before cutting/printing anything so this worked perfectly!
Other materials used for this project:
- Evergreen Trees & Cabin - Camping at Fox Ridge SVG Collection available for purchase at SVGCuts
- Font used for "Cabin" in title - LD Woodland Font available for purchase at Lettering Delights
- Font used for "Memories" in title - Blackjack Font available for free at Font Squirrel
- Fishing Boat came from the Vehicle Cuts Font available for free at Denise's Scrapbooking Room.
- People in the boat are a free Lego Man SVG available at the SVG Shop
- Fishing Pole came from a free SVG at SVGCuts (no longer available)
Update 6/28/11: I have a tutorial HERE that shows you how to design in SCAL. Also, this shadow box was published in the May 2011 issue of GingerScrapStreet Magazine!!!
Thanks for looking!